Address: 13, Chuklaya Street,
Beshenkovichi, 211350

Phone: 8 (02131) 4-10-45

E-mail: rikpochta@mail.ru

Main / Region / Armory

Armory

The symbols of the town of Beshenkovichi are the emblem and the flag. The emblem of the town of Beshenkovichi was established by Decree of the President of the Republic of Belarus and was included in the Belarusian State Armory Register.

The basic element of the emblem is a red boat carrying gold goods under a red sail featuring the emblem “Fox”. The shape of the boat is a copy of the coat of arms of the Khreptovich–Butenjev families who owned the town from 1783 until early 20th century. Beshenkovichi is located on the Western Dvina River, which was the route for the trading way “from the Varangians to the Greeks”. One of the biggest wharfs on the Western Dvina River was built in Beshenkovichi in the 17th century. The goods were shipped from Beshenkovichi to Riga. The goods on the boat stand for the famous annual four-day fair in Beshenkovichi. The fair was popular with the merchants from the Dvina and Dnepr regions as well as from other places of Belarus, Russia and many other countries.  

The Western Dvina River is represented by five blue waves. For more than four centuries the river was the main vehicle for the economic development of the region. According to researchers, the name of Beshenkovichi comes from the word “beshen” what means a strong current in the middle of a river. The number “five” symbolizes five centuries since the founding of the town. This year, Beshenkovichi will celebrate its 555th anniversary.

The emblem “Fox” featured on the red sail is one of the main elements of the coat of arms of Lev Sapiega, the Chancellor of the Great Principality of Lithuania. Lev Sapiega was born in the family estate of Ostrovno, the present-day territory of the Beshenkovichi region. He owned Beshenkovichi in 1630-1632. According to his will, the town was passed over to his younger son Kazimir Sapiega in 1632. In 1834, Beshenkovichi received the Magdeburg Right and a permission to hold two fairs a year and a trading day a week. A big wharf was built in the town.  


Flag of Beshenkovichi

This flag is white with five blue wavy strips. The blue wavy belts mean the Western Dvina River. For more than four centuries the river was the main vehicle for the economic development of the region. According to researchers, the name of Beshenkovichi comes from the word “beshen” what means a strong current in the middle of a river. The number “five” symbolizes five centuries since the founding of the town. This year, Beshenkovichi will celebrate its 555th anniversary.